Sunday, March 09, 2008

Scarves, Scarves and more Scarves


I have been heading up a charity project for our women's group at church, and we are up to 25 completed scarves. I am really very happy with the results. According to my records, I've taught 4 people how to knit, 2 or 3 how to crochet, and managed to find uses for quite a lot of my yarn. Several knitters have made up to 8 scarves. The scarves are simple garter stitch in many different textured yarns and they will go into gift bags for mastectomy patients. They are bright and beautiful for certain, even if they are not everyone's cup of knitting tea. This is where I toss any yarn snobbery that I might be guilty of out the window and go with the spirit of the project. The scarves are intended to be bright and cheerful and to give a woman who has just experienced a trauma a way to express some hope. They are not intended to show off knitting skills, be advertisements for knitting yarns or anything else. The cause of comfort and rebuilding confidence far outstrips any other consideration. So, bring on the Fun Fur, the extreme textures, the glitz! God bless these brave women who are continuing on, and here's to hoping one of our scarves might give one of them something to smile about.

1 comment:

Kris said...

I know nothing about knitting....but I saw your link in Julia's comments and then saw Star Wars in your profile info, so I had to come visit :o)

Those scarves are wonderful! What a GREAT idea! I need to suggest it to our women's group at church, and then find someone to teach me to knit!

Last summer, my daughter learned one crochet stitch. Her stepmom decided she needed to learn, but showed her the one stitch before losing interest. So, all summer, my daughter did this one stitch....and came home with a looooong rope. LOL

Thanks!
Kris