Sunday, November 30, 2008

Project Update and darn it, I just like yarn.

The chenille scarf found a home, and the purse is on track for the next class. I started some more contract knitting. It is Jeanne Abel's Turn Again Tote that is two bags knitted in one, with the stitches of each interlaced to form pockets all the way around. Very cool. I'm finding that I like test and sample knitting. Sometimes I don't want to make it up as I go and really enjoy knitting other designs, especially if they are really good designs. So, I'm hopeful that more of that will come my way.

Class went well on Tuesday, with 8 students in attendance and everyone game for the challenge of the first bit of the pattern. It is knit in the round and is one of those shifting patterns. Those patterns are challenging the first time around because they are so counter-intuitive.

This week, with some time off school and a break in the routine, I pulled out an entire closet full of yarn and projects. Oh. My. It was tempting to just give up, acknowledge that perhaps I'm mentally ill, and box it all up for the Salvation Army. Then I started looking through it and fell in love all over again. I just really like yarn, okay? In the end, what I did was give away about two smallish boxes worth (they'll head to the prison project in SD) and got rid of a whole bunch of bags. More yarn will fit on the shelves without the bags there taking up space. I felt very clever when I figured that out. So, I fit everything back in, made it beautiful to look at, and in the end felt quite sane, and even virtuous, thank you very much. My yarn is much prettier than any old coin collection, any day of the week.

1 comment:

Dina said...

Hi Kelli

Your class at the South River Knitting Guild was just wonderful - thank you! I enjoyed it and was able to keep up with you and the class (which is unusual for me - I usually get lost!).

Looking forward to next month!
Dina