Sunday, August 06, 2006

A Special Thanks and Then Absolutely No Knitting Content

So, the Secret Pal exchange gets better and better. I am so excited to "meet" my pal I can hardly wait. I may have to fly to MN to give a hug in person! My gift for July was an incredible skein of Colinette Point Five-one of the most unique yarns ever. Thick and thin and in the most beautiful colors of Autumn. I'm not sure if the photo shows it , but there are purples, browns, golds and fawns and taupes and every other color of a walk in the woods on an October day. As if that weren't enough, my kindred spirit of a secret pal, who understands that yarn is art in its own right and that knitting it up is just the icing on the cake, sent along the perfect display container-a beautiful turned wood bowl. Yum. It has a proud spot in our new family room, where I can enjoy it every day. Thanks again, pal--many hugs to you.



Today is Sunday and church was lovely. We are having some folks that my husband works with at church (he is a lay minister-the Bishop of our congregation) over for dessert later on, so an early dinner is bubbling away, giving me a moment to try and write. We got home from Maine 2 weeks ago, but the memories are still so fresh in my mind that I wanted to comment a little on the meaning of the trip. It was to celebrate the 20th anniversary of my wedding. Eric and I went to Maine on a whim for our honeymoon. We drove up the east coast in 3 days and ended up in Ellsworth, near the entrance to Acadia National Park. I am not sure we even have any photos of that trip, as I am not sure we owned a camera yet. I have wanted to go back ever since because of the memories I had of Maine being a bit magical. It was so cool in July that I remember we had to buy sweatshirts and other clothes because we came from the muggy 90 degrees of late July in Maryland not expecting total refreshment in the temperatures. I remember the rugged coastling and seeing water everywhere. We saw some seals and explored many rocks and tidepools. So, I spent a lot of time looking for a place to go. I really lucked out on the house we found. It was so perfect that I would buy it in a heartbeat if it ever went up for sale. It was a shingled ginger-bread cottage come to life that looked directly out over the ocean. Here is our view at sunrise:



The kids got to see the rugged coastline and even the seals. We spent many hours together just watching the sea or watching the fire or playing our new favorite game, Gobblet, which is a combination of chess, tick tack toe and Sorry, sort of.




On our last day there, it was pouring out. We packed the car with the rain just pummeling us. As I was taking one last run through the house. I caught the fog lifting a little off of our little stretch of coastline and captured this view:



In the end, I think that everyone will have fond memories of our trip. I know I will.

5 comments:

Corinne said...

Kellie - you are making me want to go to Maine. Such beautiful images - I can't believe that view!! What a great way to celebrate. Glad you're back though :)

Anonymous said...

oh my!! but i'm so moved i could probably cry...you have such a lovely way with words and showing gratitude...i couldn't be happier to know how much you like your yarn (and the bowl)...enjoy it...simply looking at it :) or working with it. i look forward to "revealing" my identity to you later this month...

and your photos of Maine made my heart skip a beat!! I enjoyed working there summers while i was in college...i actually work on Mt Desert Island...in Northeast Harbor. Maine has a very special place in my heart and i see that it does for you too...xo
~your secret pal

brsmaryland said...

What beautiful photos of Maine! Sounds like a wonderful vacation. Nothing beats spending time at the ocean. So peaceful.
Nice yarn too. What a special secret pal gift.

Anonymous said...

Great Article! Thank You!

Anonymous said...

Thanks to author! I like articles like this, very interesting.