Sunday, October 22, 2006

Crazy Spinning

So, what do you do when you have about 4 deadlines, you've had a sucky couple of days and you're in the mood to get rid of some stress? You drop everything and spin, of course! Especially if you haven't used a spinning wheel in about 4 years (I use my handspindle all the time, but the wheel's been gathering dust). Well, it was a good spinning week. I was first inspired by meeting THE Mama-E whose fabulous yarn and fiber have become favorites at the shop. She has even created a Cloverhill Exclusive Colourway in Chris's favorites of purple and green. So, when I got home after meeting the lovely and talented Erin, I looked through my sock yarn and found to my delight a braid of her hand-dyed fiber in a beautiful color called Pink Flamingo. So, I got busy and got most of it spun Wednesday evening then finished Thursday morning. I plied it Thursday afternoon and took it in to show all my dear shop-pals. They were so sweet as I pranced around like a little kid showing off--"Lookee lookee its my first EVER handspun yarn!"
I've been playing around with spinning for years and have miles and miles of singles on bobbins and in sandwich bags and on handspindles, but this, this luscious pink stuff is my first completed yarn. I was simply inspired! I am so excited! I have rediscovered spinning to be a wonderful foil to knitting. Calming to the mind, tactile, rhythmic, colorful, etc, but in a totally different way than knitting. So, I am off on a totally new fiber adventure that so far is meshing perfectly with the knitting. I have already started spinning the Interlacements merino top I bought a while back and am about halfway done. I am trying out a lendrum wheel and so far I like it a lot. There are a few things I like better about my used Ashford Traditional, but I am actually spinning more consistently on the lendrum. I've had fewer screw-ups. Whether that's just the sudden extra practice or something about the wheel I haven't figured out. The biggest advantage of the lendrum is that it is a traveling wheel. I can pack it up easily and take it to spin-ins, classes, etc. So, we'll see. Just because I'm silly and so very proud, here's another photo of my pink-flamingo before it becomes hat for Sara:

No comments: