Thursday, October 05, 2006

Socktoberfest



Well, Soctoberfest is off to a good start for me. I joined this knitalong to finish up a bunch of unfinished socks. So far I have another pair of charity socks complete. When Afghans for Afghans needs socks, I'll be ready! I'm 3/4 of the way to finishing Sara's Socks that Rock from Blue Moon Fiber Arts.





I also have my New Valentina (Silk City's coned version of Touch Me) Einstein Jacket on the needles and am making good progress for class. The chinese lantern is nearly finished and the 5-color challenge has been a lot of fun. I have swatches for a hat and scarf. I think I know who I'll give the whole ensemble to. Knitting for someone in particular has its own kind of fun.

Oh yes, I can't forget my toe-up explorations for Stitches East. I think I finally have an introductory toe-up sock that I can teach in an hour with decent results. I am going to test it on a couple of friends who are beginning knitters. I will post a tutorial when I get it perfected. It was a good experience to try and simplify and look at the experience from the eyes of someone who was a complete beginner. I'll keep you posted on how the class goes. Stitches is month away, so my preparations are in earnest now.

I am knitting a ton right now and so far my handa are holding up all right. Shew. I am still experimenting with two-dimensional knitted birds for the ATC (artist trading card) exchange my pal Kristin is moderating. I am using a leaf design as a starting point, and it is working pretty well.

I posted a comment on the Socktoberfest site, but something I forgot to mention is that for me, socks are still a little bit magical. Every single time I finish a heel turn, I have to put it down and smooth it out and just admire my creation for a minute. It is absolutely the coolest thing ever! I would estimate I've made 50 pairs of socks and it still pleases me afresh every time.

2 comments:

brsmaryland said...

Nice socks! I can't wait to see some Socks that Rock yarn in real life. So far my only introduction has been thru blogs. My motivation for signing up for Socktoberfest was the same...finish some long neglected socks and use up some of the yarn in the sock yarn basket. I've never tried toe up but it is intriguing...no fear of running out of yarn!

Anonymous said...

you have such perfect, perfect stitches...sigh...:)